Updated on: November 30, 2025 / 1:41 AM EST / CBS Sacramento
At least four people were killed and 10 others wounded in a shooting at a family gathering Saturday night in Stockton, authorities said. The suspect remained at large.
San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Heather Brent said the shooting occurred around 6 p.m. Pacific Time at a banquet hall on the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue. Victims ranged in age from juveniles to adults.
Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee posted on social media that the incident happened “at a child’s birthday party,” though Brent described the event only as a “family gathering” and could not confirm it was a birthday. Lee wrote, “[A] birthday party should never be a place where families fear for their lives.”
No arrests were reported. Brent said there were no immediate details about a suspect or motive, though early indications suggested the attack was targeted. The circumstances that led up to the shooting remained unclear.
Mayor Christina Fugazi called the shooting “unacceptable,” saying, “Families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive.”
The office of California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he had been briefed on the shooting. The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office asked anyone with information, video footage, or who witnessed any part of the incident to contact them immediately.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.