The Trump administration on Friday announced a suspension of all asylum decisions in the wake of this week’s shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph Edlow said the pause will remain in effect “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.” The administration framed the move as a national security measure.
The announcement follows President Donald Trump’s Thursday remark that he would “permanently pause migration” from some countries, including what he described as “Third World Countries,” though he did not identify which nations would be affected.
Separately, the State Department has “immediately” paused issuing visas to travelers holding Afghan passports. Secretary of State Marco Rubio posted on X: “President Trump’s State Department has paused visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports. The United States has no higher priority than protecting our nation and our people.”
In June, the president issued a proclamation barring travel to the U.S. from 12 countries, mostly in Africa and the Middle East, and placed restrictions on travel from several others. On Thursday he outlined additional immigration measures, including ending certain admissions, cutting federal benefits and subsidies for noncitizens, denaturalizing migrants he says undermine domestic tranquility, and deporting foreigners deemed public charges, security risks, or “non-compatible with Western Civilization,” without providing full implementation details.
Authorities identified the suspect in Wednesday’s attack as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal. Officials say he entered the U.S. in 2021 and was granted asylum in April 2025. Law enforcement sources say he had worked in Afghanistan with a unit known as the Zero Unit and maintained close ties to U.S. intelligence operations, including the CIA and the Joint Special Operations Command; he was described as a trusted member of that team.
Following the shooting, which killed one Guard member and left another critically wounded, Trump promised a tough immigration crackdown and called the attack “the greatest national security threat facing our nation.” Democrats and immigration advocates criticized the new restrictions, arguing the national security rationale is overstated and that the moves will turn away families in need.
Earlier this year, Trump ordered National Guard troops to Washington and has deployed Guard members to other Democratic-led cities such as Chicago and Portland, Oregon.