Two National Guard members were wounded in an ambush-style attack near the Farragut Metro station in downtown Washington, D.C., on Nov. 26, 2025. Law enforcement officials said the gunman concealed himself before opening fire on high-visibility Guard patrols and continued shooting after a Guardswoman fell and her weapon was taken. Witnesses reported roughly 10 to 15 shots fired.
Officials said the suspect was shot multiple times during the confrontation. A third Guard member reportedly stabbed the suspect with a pocketknife and a fourth returned fire, incapacitating him. Emergency crews transported the suspect by ambulance to a hospital; sources said he had been shot four times and is now in police custody. The two injured Guard members were taken to separate hospitals in critical condition. The FBI is leading the probe with assistance from the Secret Service, ATF and U.S. Marshals.
Multiple law enforcement sources identified the suspect as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national who was paroled into the United States on humanitarian grounds in September 2021 after the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. A Department of Homeland Security official told CBS News that Lakanwal applied for asylum in 2024 and was granted asylum in 2025; his application for a green card tied to that grant is pending. Officials noted he is technically an asylee and not considered to be in the country illegally. Authorities said the suspect is not cooperating with investigators.
The attack prompted immediate federal and political responses. President Donald Trump, briefed while at Mar-a-Lago, described the incident as a heinous assault, said the suspect entered the country from Afghanistan in 2021, and ordered the mobilization of an additional 500 National Guard troops to Washington. He also said the status of Afghan migrants admitted under the previous administration would be reviewed. Defense and Homeland officials said the Army had received a request for extra Guardsmen and would work to fulfill it.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced an immediate, indefinite pause in processing immigration applications filed by Afghan nationals while security and vetting protocols are reviewed. Homeland Security sources confirmed the suspect had been identified as an Afghan national.
FBI Director Kash Patel and leaders of the D.C. Metropolitan Police described the shooting as intentional and targeted. Police reviewed video that officials said showed a lone gunman ambushing the soldiers. The FBI characterized the investigation as a national security matter and said the suspect will be brought to justice. Authorities said they have found no known connection to the White House and have not identified any additional suspects.
The incident drew bipartisan condemnation and expressions of support for the wounded. President Joe Biden and former President Barack Obama offered prayers and denounced the violence. Congressional leaders from both parties urged Americans to pray for the injured and praised the rapid response of law enforcement and Guard members. D.C. Attorney General Brian Schwalb and several governors also condemned the attack.
Eyewitnesses described sudden gunfire and chaotic scenes as people ran for cover. Video and witness accounts showed responders moving a stretcher carrying a National Guard member whose head was covered in blood. The Metropolitan Police Department secured the area while investigators continued to examine the suspect’s background, potential motives and any connections.
Officials cautioned that the investigation remains in its early stages and many details are under review. Further updates are expected as the federal probe continues and medical information about the injured service members becomes available.