Washington — The FBI has opened an inquiry into six Democratic members of Congress who appeared in a video last week urging service members and intelligence personnel to “refuse illegal orders,” lawmakers said.
Sen. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan said Tuesday that the FBI’s counterterrorism division notified the lawmakers Monday night that “they are opening what appears to be an inquiry against the six of us.” Lawmakers said the bureau contacted the House and Senate sergeants at arms to arrange interviews.
The group includes Slotkin, Sen. Mark Kelly of Arizona, and Reps. Jason Crow of Colorado, Chris Deluzio of Pennsylvania, Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire and Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania. The Justice Department and FBI declined to comment.
Speaking at an event in Michigan, Slotkin called the move a “scare tactic” linked to President Trump and said his use of federal agencies against perceived adversaries was exactly why the lawmakers produced the video — to reassure service members and intelligence personnel that they were not alone as events unfold.
Four House Democrats said Monday that Trump is “using the FBI as a tool to intimidate and harass members of Congress” and added that “no amount of intimidation or harassment will ever stop us from doing our jobs and honoring our Constitution.”
Separately, the Pentagon said it is conducting a review of misconduct allegations against Kelly, a former U.S. Navy captain, to determine whether he should be recalled to active duty to face possible court-martial proceedings. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth asked the secretary of the Navy to complete the review by Dec. 10.
At least two Republican senators defended Kelly. Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska called accusations of treason and sedition “reckless and flat-out wrong” and questioned whether the Defense Department and FBI had more pressing priorities. Sen. John Curtis of Utah praised Kelly’s public service and said he valued Kelly’s friendship.
By Caitlin Yilek and Patrick Maguire. Jacob Rosen contributed to this report.