By Sara Cook, Updated May 24, 2026 / CBS News
Iran has agreed in principle to relinquish highly enriched uranium as part of negotiations with the United States, a senior Trump administration official said Sunday, though a signed agreement is not expected this weekend. The official said U.S. negotiators believe Iran’s supreme leader has approved a template for a deal, but a final text still must be negotiated and endorsed before anything is signed.
U.S. officials described the talks as a two-step arrangement. The first step would immediately reopen the Strait of Hormuz in return for the United States lifting its maritime blockade. The second step would establish a mechanism for Iran to give up portions of its nuclear program, including the disposal of stockpiled highly enriched uranium and resolution of other outstanding nuclear issues.
Officials stressed the dispute is now over how the material will be handled, not whether it will be disposed of, and said Tehran has not resisted an overall timeline for suspending enrichment activity. Work remains to finalize the technical and logistical details of the disposal mechanism with Iranian negotiators empowered by the supreme leader.
The administration believes the prospective arrangement would be stronger than the 2015 accord negotiated under the Obama administration, which allowed enrichment up to specified levels. “I think we’re actually in a very good place,” the official said, while cautioning that public narratives could undermine a prospective agreement.
Under the deal’s first phase, the U.S. would lift its blockade and coordinate with U.S. Central Command and Gulf partners to ensure safe passage through the strait. The official emphasized that this coordination should not be interpreted as a tolling system for passage; it is intended to secure transit and reduce risks.
Vice President JD Vance, Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner have been involved in the negotiations, and U.S. officials say they are seeking buy-in from regional allies. The administration acknowledged it cannot force political change inside Iran and intends to “deal with the government we have now,” the official said.
President Trump earlier characterized the agreement as “largely negotiated,” but later urged his team not to rush a deal, saying time was on the U.S. side. Officials noted a key difference from previous phases of diplomacy: Tehran has made accommodations on several issues that were not apparent earlier in the talks.
Negotiators on both sides continue to work through remaining details before a formal agreement can be finalized and signed.