Israeli forces said their aircraft struck a major leadership compound in central Tehran overnight, targeting multiple buildings the military described as core elements of Iran’s security apparatus. The Israel Defense Forces reported strikes on the Presidential Office, the Supreme National Security Council building, a senior security decision-making site, a facility used to train military officers and other key infrastructure, and said the attack damaged the regime’s command-and-control network.
Iranian emergency services offered a much higher toll. The Iranian Red Crescent, cited by the semiofficial ISNA news agency, said at least 787 people had been killed in Iran since Saturday in strikes carried out by U.S. and Israeli forces.
In the wider region, clashes continued. Israeli officials said operations would expand in Lebanon even as Hezbollah launched strikes across the border, contributing to heightened violence in southern Beirut and surrounding areas.
The crisis has affected U.S. diplomatic operations in the region. The U.S. Embassy in Riyadh announced it would remain closed Tuesday after Iranian-launched drones struck the embassy compound overnight. Saudi authorities issued shelter-in-place advisories for Jeddah, Riyadh and Dhahran and U.S. officials warned Americans in the kingdom to stay indoors. Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens live in Saudi Arabia.
Israel’s defense minister, Israel Katz, posted on social media that the coordinated Israeli-American campaign is intended to degrade Tehran’s capabilities and to create conditions that could encourage political change inside Iran. Katz described the operation as targeting the regime’s leadership and said it would continue with full force as long as necessary to protect Israeli and U.S. forces, prevent Iranian nuclear or mass-missile development, and weaken the regime’s ability to direct attacks.
The situation remains fluid, with international concern growing over the expanding military exchanges and their impact on civilians across the region. Reporting for this update was contributed by ABC News correspondents and staff.