President Trump announced Thursday that Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom has died after being ambushed and shot Wednesday in downtown Washington, D.C. Beckstrom was one of two National Guard members attacked; the other, Army Specialist Andrew Wolfe, remained in critical condition.
Federal officials identified the suspect as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national who entered the United States in September 2021 through evacuation efforts following the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. Authorities say Lakanwal traveled from western Washington state to the D.C. area carrying a loaded revolver and ambushed Guardsmen on a high-visibility patrol about two blocks north of the White House. Witnesses and investigators reported that the assailant fired, then went to one fallen Guardsman, took that soldier’s weapon and continued shooting. He was detained and is in serious condition.
Beckstrom, 20, a member of the West Virginia National Guard, had been on orders in Washington since August and was reportedly sworn in again the day before the attack. Her family said she suffered a mortal wound; officials described a chaotic scene at the hospital as relatives and supporters gathered. Wolfe, 24 and also with the West Virginia Guard, was evacuated to a hospital and remained critically ill.
The FBI, Department of Homeland Security and other federal and local agencies launched a coast-to-coast investigation. Authorities executed search warrants in northwest Washington state and other locations tied to the suspect, seizing phones, laptops and additional digital devices. Investigators are tracing the suspect’s movements in the days and weeks before the shooting, examining electronic records for motives, possible radicalization, any foreign or domestic connections, and whether he acted alone or at direction. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is tracing the revolver; reports indicate it was loaded with four bullets.
The U.S. attorney’s office said more charges are expected. The suspect already faces counts of assault with intent to kill while armed and could face homicide or murder charges in connection with Beckstrom’s death. The attorney general indicated prosecutors may seek the death penalty if appropriate.
Administration officials and President Trump linked the suspect’s entry to the 2021 evacuations from Afghanistan, criticizing the prior administration’s handling of that period. The White House announced steps to review certain immigration cases, including reexamining green-card holders from a list of countries and pausing some processing for Afghan nationals. Immigration advocates warned those moves could harm vulnerable people.
The FBI is also investigating whether mental health issues or post-traumatic stress played a role; media reports indicated the suspect had worked with U.S. forces and intelligence analysts and had been part of partner forces overseas. Officials continue to look for any associates and to determine whether vetting or post-arrival monitoring missed warning signs.
Thousands of National Guard members had been deployed to the capital for high-visibility patrols, including more than 2,100 assigned to a federal task force in Washington. In response to the attack, the president ordered additional Guard members to the capital and federalized deployments elsewhere. The incident has renewed debate among officials and lawmakers over the visibility and protection of Guardsmen and other uniformed personnel deployed in cities.
Law enforcement executed warrants in multiple states, including locations in Washington and Southern California, as they piece together the timeline of the suspect’s travel from the Pacific Northwest to Washington, D.C. Officials, political leaders and community members expressed grief and support for the families; the Department of Justice and local prosecutors said they will pursue the case fully. Authorities asked anyone with information to contact the FBI as the investigation continues.