U.S. and Israeli forces launched another round of strikes on Iran Sunday as the conflict escalated and the Pentagon confirmed the first American fatalities. The Defense Department said three U.S. service members, based in Kuwait, were killed and at least five others were seriously wounded.
President Trump released a video saying the country mourns what he called true American patriots and that combat operations will continue. He also said he remains open to talks with Iran’s new leadership.
The second day of fighting featured heavy aerial engagements. In Tehran, explosions were reported and eyewitnesses said a hospital had been struck. Iranian state media separately reported a deadly strike at an elementary school that it said killed more than 100 people. Authorities in Iran said some citizens called for the death of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei even as large pro‑regime demonstrations, described as a day of anger turned to mourning, marked the start of the 40‑day mourning period for the supreme leader.
The Israel Defense Forces released video it said showed regime headquarters being hit and announced broad, coordinated attacks on multiple targets. An IDF spokesman described rapid operations aimed at sites where leadership was gathering and said the military believed it had intercepted about 90 percent of incoming missiles and drones fired at Israel.
Iran’s military vowed revenge. Among retaliatory strikes reported was a missile that hit the shelter of a synagogue west of Jerusalem, killing at least nine people, and a strike in downtown Tel Aviv that destroyed a residential neighborhood, killing at least one woman and injuring dozens.
CBS News correspondent Charlie D’Agata, reporting from Tel Aviv, said he spent the day moving in and out of bomb shelters and relayed that the three U.S. service members killed were based in Kuwait and that the five wounded were seriously injured. He described a fast‑moving aerial campaign with significant damage across multiple fronts.
The situation remains fluid. Both sides have said they struck hundreds of targets and continue operations, and officials on all sides have threatened further action. Many claims about the scope of damage and specific leadership casualties are being reported as official statements or assertions by the parties involved and remain subject to independent verification.