One of two National Guard members shot Wednesday in Washington, D.C., Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, 20, has died, and the other, Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, remains in critical condition, officials said.
President Trump confirmed Beckstrom’s death Thursday and said he spoke with her parents. Joint Task Force District of Columbia commander Col. Larry Doane called Beckstrom “a hero,” noting she had enlisted in the West Virginia National Guard in June 2023 and served as a military police soldier with the 863rd Military Police Company. U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro said Wolfe was in critical condition after surgery.
Law enforcement sources told CBS News the two were on patrol outside a downtown Metro station when a gunman opened fire in what was described as a “clear ambush” and “calculated attack.” According to sources, the first victim, Beckstrom, was struck immediately and collapsed; the shooter fired four rounds from his handgun, then took Beckstrom’s weapon and used it to continue firing, wounding Wolfe. A third Guardsman stabbed the suspect with a pocketknife, and a fourth returned fire and shot the suspect multiple times, ending the attack.
Investigators have identified the detained suspect as 29-year-old Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal. Pirro said the suspect will be charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence; charges could change depending on the wounded service members’ conditions. Sources said the suspect is not cooperating with authorities.
Federal agents executed a search warrant at the suspect’s last known address in Bellingham, Washington. FBI Director Kash Patel said agents seized numerous electronic devices, including cellphones, laptops and tablets, which are being analyzed. Multiple family members of the suspect have been interviewed, and investigators followed leads that included people associated with him in San Diego. No other suspects have been identified.
Officials and sources are exploring possible motives. A running theory cited by law enforcement is that the suspect suffered from paranoia and other mental health challenges and believed authorities sought to deport him. Pirro cautioned that it was too soon to determine a definitive motive.
Immigration background and government response
U.S. officials said Lakanwal was paroled into the U.S. on humanitarian grounds in 2021 after the fall of Kabul and later applied for asylum; his asylum application was granted in 2025, and his green card application remained pending. CBS News reported the Department of Homeland Security identified him as an Afghan national admitted to the United States in September 2021.
In response to the shooting, the Trump administration announced several immigration actions. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced an indefinite pause on processing immigration applications filed by Afghan nationals. The administration also ordered a “full-scale, rigorous reexamination” of green cards for immigrants from designated “countries of concern” and said it would review asylum cases approved under the prior administration. The moves drew scrutiny and marked a significant shift in immigration screening and vetting policies.
Links to Afghanistan and prior work with U.S. forces
Authorities and U.S. officials said the suspect previously worked with U.S. forces. The CIA confirmed the suspect “previously worked with the U.S. government, including CIA, as a member of a partner force in Kandahar” that ended in 2021. CBS News reported that an ID badge circulating online purported to show the suspect was assigned to a so-called “Zero Unit” and referenced “Firebase Gecko,” though the badge’s authenticity had not been independently verified. A former Afghan commando told CBS News the suspect had led a special forces unit that worked with U.S. and British troops and that he had been deeply affected by the death of a close friend.
Investigators continue to analyze the suspect’s digital footprint and other evidence seized during searches. Pirro said federal law enforcement, led by the FBI, will follow evidence “anywhere in the country or the world where the evidence leads us.”
Officials, lawmakers and community reaction
Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia called Beckstrom’s death “a devastating loss for her family, her fellow Guardsmen, and for our entire state.” Sen. Jim Justice also expressed devastation and urged support for the families and the injured service member. Col. Doane and other National Guard officials expressed mourning for Beckstrom and support for her family and fellow guardsmen.
Trump described Wolfe as “in very bad shape” and said he hoped for better news about Wolfe’s recovery. Pirro urged the public to pray for the wounded on a holiday when families gather, emphasizing the gravity of the situation.
Ongoing probe and next steps
Authorities said they will continue interviewing witnesses, family members and associates of the suspect, and will analyze electronic devices and other material seized during searches in Washington state and California. The suspect’s initial drive from Bellingham to Washington, D.C., was noted by Pirro, who said the suspect drove across the country before the attack.
As the investigation proceeds, federal prosecutors will refine charges based on the case file and the medical outcomes for the victims. Law enforcement has not identified other suspects, and officials stressed it remained too early to reach final conclusions about motive or potential co-conspirators.
