Crews responding to the chemical leak at GKN Aerospace in Garden Grove said Sunday they may have found a pressure-relieving crack in the leaking storage tank — a discovery that, if confirmed, could change the response strategy as roughly 50,000 residents remain evacuated.
Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) interim chief TJ McGovern said the finding still needs verification, but it offers a potentially promising new path for responders trying to avert either a full spill or a thermal runaway explosion. OCFA incident commander Craig Covey has warned the crisis presents two worst-case scenarios: the tank failing and dumping thousands of gallons of toxic material, or the chemical entering an uncontrolled, heat-driven reaction and exploding.
The tank is believed to contain methyl methacrylate, a flammable plastic monomer that can self-heat and polymerize in an exothermic reaction. Officials have said the tank’s internal temperature has been rising at about one degree per hour; during a late-night operation the gauge read 100 degrees — the maximum on that instrument. Experts describe the compound as heavier than air and a respiratory irritant that can cause eye, skin and lung irritation, nausea and dizziness.
“We are hopeful this new information may change our trajectory and our strategy,” McGovern said. Officials emphasized they are continuing unconventional, “out-of-the-box” planning and consulting experts nationwide to find a safe way to stabilize the tank and avoid catastrophic failure.
State and local response
Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency to free up resources and support local responders. Newsom said every state resource available would be mobilized to protect residents.
Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer opened a criminal investigation and launched an anonymous tipline, urging facility employees or community members with information to come forward. Spitzer said whistleblowers who come forward early will be treated differently in the investigation. Civil lawyers have also filed a class-action suit seeking accountability for the evacuations and potential health impacts.
Air monitoring and safety assessments
South Coast Air Quality Management District and the Environmental Protection Agency have deployed continuous monitors around the site. Officials reported that air monitoring so far has shown levels within normal ranges, and specialized equipment detected no gas escaping the tank after initial responses. Drones and thermal imaging continue to monitor tank temperature.
Health officials reiterated evacuation orders for those in the designated danger zone and urged anyone in the evacuation area to leave immediately. Orange County Health Officer Dr. Regina Chinsio-Kwong noted the chemical has a strong, fruity odor and that smelling it does not necessarily mean symptoms will occur, but people should heed evacuation guidance.
Scope of evacuations and sheltering
Evacuations were expanded Friday to a roughly one-mile radius around the facility and cover parts of Garden Grove, Cypress, Stanton, Anaheim, Buena Park and Westminster. Officials described an inner zone at greatest risk for structural damage in the event of an explosion, with broader rings of decreasing risk and larger areas where residents might notice odor but be outside the hazardous zone.
Multiple evacuation centers have been set up, many accepting pets. The American Red Cross is staffing sites and providing food, water and health services. Several shelters reached capacity; some locations remain open overnight. Uber offered free rides to shelters up to $40 (code OCSAFE26), valid for two trips per rider through the specified offer period, and some Anaheim hotels posted discounted rates for evacuees.
Local impacts and closures
School districts in the area closed numerous campuses until further notice. The Garden Grove Strawberry Festival continued as scheduled, but certain events such as a 5K marathon and parade were canceled. Disney and Knott’s Berry Farm said their operations were not impacted; Disneyland is about five miles from the incident and is outside the evacuation zone.
Regional coordination
Neighboring counties reported no immediate threat but are monitoring conditions closely. Los Angeles County officials said there was no current risk to LA communities and that the Los Angeles Fire Department is coordinating with OCFA, sending a Hazmat specialist and standing by to assist if needed. Riverside and San Bernardino agencies likewise said they were tracking the incident and prepared to respond.
Investigations and accountability
Authorities continue to investigate the cause of the tank failure. No injuries have been reported. The DA’s office established a tipline for anonymous submissions: [email protected] and 714-347-8714. Local public information numbers include the City of Garden Grove 24-hour call center at (714) 741-5444 and the Orange County public information hotline at (714) 628-7085.
What responders say now
Officials stressed the situation remains dynamic and that their priority is to prevent a catastrophic release or explosion. They said work will continue with outside experts, and responders will update the public as new information is validated. In the meantime, residents in evacuation zones should follow official instructions, use shelters and support services if displaced, and report any relevant information to investigators.