On the morning of April 25, 2010, at about 6:30 a.m., Heidi Firkus called 911 from her home in Saint Paul, Minnesota, saying someone was trying to break in. A loud bang interrupted the call and the line went silent. Roughly a minute later, Heidi’s husband, Nick Firkus, placed a 911 call reporting that both he and his wife had been shot.
When emergency crews arrived, they found Heidi unresponsive. She had been struck by a shotgun blast and was pronounced dead at the scene. Nick sustained a grazed thigh wound and was transported to a hospital. A shotgun was discovered in the foyer near the front door.
Nick initially told police that he had been awakened, grabbed the shotgun, and sent Heidi down the stairs toward the front door where he believed someone was attempting to force an entry. According to his account, a struggle occurred in the doorway, the shotgun discharged, Heidi was hit in the back and ran to the kitchen, and Nick himself had been shot by the alleged intruder.
From the outset, parts of Nick’s story troubled investigators and some neighbors. A next-door house sitter, Branden O’Connor, reported hearing a muffled argument and anguished cries; he later said he thought he heard someone shout words like “You shot her.” Detectives who reviewed the scene described a lack of physical evidence consistent with a violent third‑person struggle at the front door: there were no overturned items or other signs of a scuffle. Reconstruction efforts indicated that sounds at the front door would not likely have been audible from the bedroom where Nick said he’d been awakened. Detectives also questioned why Heidi, who was reportedly asleep upstairs, would be sent down the stairs toward a perceived intruder while Nick remained behind.
Investigators produced a sketch of a possible intruder and followed many leads over the years, but they found no DNA or fingerprints linking any third person to the scene. Analysts judged door marks to be inconsistent with recent forced entry. Over time detectives examined the couple’s financial records and communications. The Firkuses had bought a house that stretched their budget; foreclosure documents showed the property had been lost to foreclosure and eviction proceedings were underway. Detective Nichole Sipes, who later took primary charge of the investigation, concluded after reviewing texts and emails that Heidi did not appear to have been fully aware of the extent of their financial troubles.
Sipes grew convinced that there were only two people in the house the morning Heidi died. Nick remained the principal focus of suspicion. He hired counsel and curtailed cooperation with some police requests. He also commissioned a private sketch artist and moved out of the house weeks after the killing. In later years he married and divorced a woman named Rachel Sanchez; after their split she recorded conversations in which he made statements prosecutors would later use as part of their circumstantial case.
The case lay largely dormant for several years before police renewed the investigation between 2015 and 2019. Detectives and prosecutors assembled circumstantial evidence and continued to look for physical proof of a third person, but none was found. In 2020 Rachel, by then divorced, met with Detective Sipes and provided recordings of conversations with Nick in which he, at times, vented about doing terrible things and mentioned “murder” in contexts investigators said suggested dishonesty and possible concealment. Rachel’s cooperation and the recordings helped spur renewed action.
In May 2021, more than eleven years after Heidi’s death, Saint Paul police arrested Nick and charged him with murder. A grand jury indicted him on first- and second-degree murder counts. Prosecutors argued that Nick had staged a burglary to conceal an intentional killing motivated by shame and desperation over mounting financial problems and lies he had told to friends and family. They emphasized the absence of third‑party DNA or fingerprints, the lack of physical signs of a struggle, and forensic reconstructions indicating the shotgun trajectory could have been fired from Nick’s position.
The defense disputed the forensic and circumstantial conclusions. Attorneys argued an intruder could have worn gloves, accounting for the absence of DNA, and pointed to tool marks on the door as consistent with forced entry. They stressed neighborhood testimony suggesting a third person was present—citing Branden’s account of hearing an anguished voice—and attacked the reliability of time-stamped phone records and the prosecutor’s timeline. Pretrial rulings excluded Rachel’s secretly recorded conversations from evidence; the judge found those tapes had limited relevance. Rachel did not testify at trial.
At trial the prosecution relied on circumstantial, behavioral, and forensic evidence: alleged inconsistencies in Nick’s early statements, the foyer’s confined dimensions, pellet trajectories, and the broader picture of financial motive and deception. The defense highlighted Nick’s community reputation, alternative explanations for the physical evidence, and the absence of direct proof tying him to the killing.
After an 11-day trial in February 2023, the jury found Nick guilty of premeditated and intentional murder. In April 2023 Judge Leonardo Castro sentenced him to life without parole. Nick has continued to maintain his innocence. Heidi’s family characterized the verdict as accountability for a long-running mystery; friends and acquaintances of Nick expressed disbelief and sorrow at the outcome.
The case leaves unresolved questions for some: why no confirmed evidence of a third person ever emerged, how neighbor accounts and the 911 recordings were weighed against the physical scene, and the degree to which Nick’s financial secrecy and alleged deception motivated events. For Heidi’s loved ones, the conviction brought a measure of closure after years of uncertainty. For others who knew Nick, the verdict prompted a difficult reassessment of a man they had perceived differently. The investigation, indictment, trial, and ultimate conviction unfolded over more than a decade, with renewed scrutiny by Detective Sipes and late-breaking cooperation that prosecutors say were key to bringing charges.