By Caitlin Yilek
Updated Dec. 8, 2025 / 10:09 PM EST
A provision in the compromise version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act would withhold part of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s travel budget until the Pentagon turns over unedited video of strikes on alleged drug-smuggling boats near Venezuela.
The nearly $901 billion bill, unveiled Sunday and expected to win bipartisan approval in both chambers, would retain one quarter of Hegseth’s office travel funds until the House and Senate Armed Services committees receive “unedited video of strikes conducted against designated terrorist organizations in the area of responsibility of the United States Southern Command.” The measure also conditions the release of those funds on delivery of overdue Pentagon reports, including lessons learned from the war in Ukraine.
Politico first reported the provision, which appears more than 800 pages into the 3,086-page compromise package.
The push for the full footage intensified after reports that two survivors of an initial Sept. 2 boat strike in the Caribbean Sea were killed in a follow-up attack. Two sources familiar with the footage told reporters the survivors were waving before they were killed. Military officials briefed a small group of lawmakers last week as questions about the operation’s legality mounted; some critics say the killing of survivors could amount to a war crime.
A limited segment of the Sept. 2 operation was previously shared publicly in a 29-second clip posted to social media by President Trump. The military has carried out more than 20 strikes on alleged drug boats since early September, killing at least 87 people, according to reporting. The Trump administration maintains the strikes are legally justified.
Officials planned a briefing for Tuesday afternoon in which Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chair Gen. Dan Caine and Secretary of State Marco Rubio were to meet with congressional leaders and top members of the intelligence committees in both chambers, sources said.
President Trump initially said he would support releasing the footage — “whatever they have we’ll certainly release, no problem” — but by Monday he said he was comfortable with “whatever Hegseth wants to do.” Hegseth indicated Saturday that the video might not be released, citing ongoing operations in the region.
Alan He and Patrick Maguire contributed to this report.