A person of interest who had been held overnight in connection with the deadly shooting at Brown University was released late Sunday, the university said. Law enforcement agencies said the investigation is ongoing and local police advised there is no immediate threat to Brown or the surrounding community.
The attack occurred Saturday afternoon in the engineering building during final exams; two people were killed and nine others were wounded. Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said Sunday night that while some evidence initially pointed to the person of interest, new information pointed in a different direction, prompting the release.
Providence Police Chief Colonel Oscar L. Perez Jr. said investigators had followed a lead, describing that step as part of normal investigative work. Officials continue to seek the individual captured on surveillance video leaving the scene; that footage shows a person dressed in black walking away calmly with their face not visible, and it was not clear whether that person is a student.
Providence Mayor Brett Smiley said seven of the hospitalized victims remain in stable condition and one is in critical condition; another person with less serious injuries has been discharged. Smiley, who said he had spoken to four of the victims, called the shooting “incredibly upsetting and emotional” for both the city and the university.
FBI Director Kash Patel said a command center has been established and a digital portal created for the public to submit images and video related to the incident to aid the investigation.
University President Christina Paxson said all of the victims — both those killed and those wounded — were students. She noted that not all families had been notified and described the situation as devastating, while saying the Brown community is strong and will work to recover.
A shelter-in-place order issued Saturday for Brown and nearby areas has been lifted, but the university warned that police activity continues and portions of campus are being treated as active crime scenes with limited access. Investigators said they do not yet know how the shooter entered the first-floor classroom. While some exterior doors of the building were unlocked, rooms being used for finals required badge access, Mayor Smiley said.
University officials canceled remaining classes and exams for the semester and told students they are free to leave campus. Provost Francis Doyle said those who stay will have access to services and support, and officials are prioritizing care for the community. Smiley added there will be an enhanced police presence in the city to provide reassurance.
President Trump, speaking at a White House event Sunday, offered condolences to the injured and to the families of those killed.
Editor’s note: CBS News has removed the name of the person of interest after police released them from custody.
Contributed to this report: Pat Milton.