Updated on: December 12, 2025 / 7:42 PM EST / CBS/AP
King Charles III announced Friday that he will reduce his cancer treatment in the new year, crediting an early diagnosis, effective medical intervention and close adherence to his doctors’ recommendations.
In a recorded message shown on British television as part of a campaign encouraging people to use available cancer screening, the 77-year-old monarch emphasized the lifesaving value of early detection. “Early diagnosis quite simply saves lives,” he said, adding that timely intervention in his own case has allowed him “to continue leading a full and active life even while undergoing treatment.”
The recording also offered Charles a moment to reflect on the 22 months since he first revealed he would receive treatment for an undisclosed cancer. He expressed concern that at least 9 million people in the U.K. are not current with recommended cancer screenings, calling that figure “at least 9 million opportunities for early diagnosis being missed.”
He pointed to survival differences when cancers are detected early versus late, noting that about nine in 10 people diagnosed with bowel cancer at the earliest stage survive at least five years, compared with roughly one in 10 when the disease is found at a late stage. Royal aides cautioned that the palace has not identified the king’s cancer as bowel cancer; officials have said the malignancy was discovered after treatment for an enlarged prostate revealed a separate issue of concern.
Buckingham Palace said last year that Charles chose to disclose his diagnosis to avoid speculation and to help public understanding for others affected by cancer. Since that announcement, the king has used his experience to promote early diagnosis and screening. Cancer Research UK reported a 33% rise in visits to its website in the weeks after the monarch’s disclosure, as people sought information on cancer signs and screening.
The king paused most public engagements for about two months while undergoing treatment and recovery but continued to carry out state duties and retain his constitutional role. He returned to public-facing events in April of last year with a visit to a cancer treatment center at University College Hospital in London, where he spoke with staff and other patients and offered sympathy to those undergoing chemotherapy.
AFP contributed to this report.